With the motto “ Knowledge is power”, the college vision to rise as a centre of excellence in the eastern most part of Assam catering to the higher academic needs of a diverse population including several indigenous and ethnic communities who are mostly economically , socially downtrodden. The mission of the institution is to empower the generation of the entire locality including nearby tribal areas of Assam and some part of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh. The institution aims to cultivate awareness through intellectual and creative disciplines, to provide infrastructural facilities for all round development, to enhance the local community by various extension activities,
Along with the above objectives, a special theme is adopted by IQAC for the year 2018-2019 which is “Educate a girl, you educate a family”. Significantly, in this rural and tribal area, social and economic status of women is very low. To uplift their condition and make them aware of their socio-cultural position, the college has organised a number of programmes both in and out of the premises. In order to study different aspects of the tribal cultures, a tribal study centre was opened in the college and different programmes in collaboration with Research Promotion and Publication cell, Women Studies and development Cell & IQAC as well were organized during the year. In these programmes we try to motivate girl students as well as women from the locality (Set up exhibition for women entrepreneurship in the locality). Related to women empowerment, problems of delinquency, health and hygiene, skill development, problems of puberty, menstrual health, importance of physical exercises we organise. Related to the above, the following programme have been conducted during the session.
- An awareness programme for the girl students on self defence was conducted by Women Studies and Development Cell in association with Grievance Redressal Cell on 29.08.18
- A Self defence Training programme for students is conducted on 01/09/2018 to 01/09/2018
- Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell in association with Dept.of Education, Margherita College conducted an awareness programme with the title ‘ Delinquency in the period of Adolescence’ lecture being delivered by Mrs. Pratibha Bezbaruah on 24/10/2018.
- IQAC conducts a 1-day workshop on Women Health and Hygiene in assocoiation with Women Studies and Development Cell and NSS Unit at Powaimukh Janajati M.E. School on 22/01/2019.
- Department of Political Science conducted a seminar on “Role of Media in Women Empowerment” on 26/02/2019.
- 15-days workshop on “Computer Education (for girl students) organized by Women Studies and Development Cell and IQAC & Alumni association , Margherita College from 01/03/2019 to 15/03/2019.
- A lecture Program on “Eve teasing at Work places” organized by Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell, the chief speaker being Dr. Anisha Ali, Dept. of English, Margherita College on 22/04/2019.
- IQAC & Women Studies and Development Cell, Margherita College organized a workshop around the theme “Puberty, Menstrual health and use of cotton Sanitary napkins” on 29/05/2019.